June 3, 2020

The visa you will need to work on a cruise ship or yacht C1/D, B1

Crew members should apply for the C1/D visa if they are working on commercial vessels such as cruise ships, cargo ships or commercial yachts.
Depending on your nationality these visas may be issued separately as a C1 and a D but for many seafarers, they will be combined into one C1/D visa.
Additionally, some crew members should pursue a B1 visa to accompany their C1/D visa.
          Only crew members of private vessels voyaging in US waters qualify for B1 visas. More information about visa classifications can be found on the website https://www.usembassy.gov/. Once you’ve identified the type of visa you will need to apply for, you should apply online using the DS-160 form and schedule an appointment in nearest US embassy in your place
Both the DS-160 application and the appointment calendar are easily found on the your embassy’s website.
In preparation for your visa interview, you should make sure that you have these necessary documents:
-a verifying letter from your employer (LOE) or
an agent of your employer;
-a physical copy of your DS-160 form;
-passport, identity document or record book indicating your past voyages and
technical training (if relevant).
-picture for passport,US standard size
-recipe as proof that you paid visa previously (on many cruise ships, they will refund you a visa, just save the recipe)
-any other document advised by your captain, agency or company
Most importantly your captain, agency or company should reach out to the embassy a week in advance with the following information:
-a list of all current crew members (in some cases, for yacht jobs);

Now that we’ve navigated the world of visas together you’re ready to apply. Simply visit https://www.usembassy.gov/ , find informations that you need and send an email for any questions that you may have.

us visa

The C-1 visa is a type of visa reserved for immediate and continuous transit through the United States to a foreign country.
D- visa is type of visa for crew members serving in any capacity aboard a vessel or aircraft, except of fishing vessels based in US.
C1/D visa is combination of these two visas that we mentioned above.

In some cases, some additional documents will be required for the application, and you will be notified on time by your embassy or agency.


Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)